Friday 25 April 2014

#9 - Ultramarine blue test model


Yet another test model that got a lick of paint. This time, I tried to get a blue that would look good for Ultramarines and ended up just painting his arm.

If I may say so myself, the result is rather decent and I'm rather happy with the highlights. Some are a bit thick and/or messy, but with practice I'm confident that those minor issues will disappear.

Another thing I'm rather happy with is that I managed to paint the armour using only two paints (Regal Blue and Ushabti Bone), some painting medium, an ink (Winsor & Newton blue ink) and a wash (Army Painter Strong Tone). So yeah, pretty good result all round!

I'm going to scale this up now and paint a full model, to see how it feels. With any luck, I'll enjoy it enough to be willing to do it on more than one model!

6 comments:

  1. Excellent looking arm! Glad to see you working on an ultramarine. Too many write then of as being bland, which is a shame. I hope to see that marine finished and a few more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eric!

      Funnily enough, one of the reasons I chose to paint up an Ultramarine was due to them being rather rare, unpopular with (some) Internet people and "rather bland" as you say. I don't think they are and I hope to show that :)

      Oh, and more is on the way, good sir!

      Delete
  2. Great looking work! The blue looks fantastic. An impressive accomplishment with only two colors and an ink. I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam! As I mentioned above, more is on the way!

      Delete
  3. Holy crap, never thought to mix Regal Blue and bone color! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JCA! I actually got the idea by following another tutorial for dark, gritty Ultramarine armour but ended up modifying it and making it suit my "style" of painting. If you'd like me to, I can try and find the original tutorial and link it to you. It has plenty of great tips and tricks.

      Just me give me shout really.

      Delete

Feel free to leave feedback and/or any questions that you may have in the comments section below, even if you're not signed up to Google!