Friday 25 April 2014

#7 - 6 new Followers & a tad more yellow

So, first off, I seem to have picked up six new Followers over the last couple of days which is undeniably cool. Thanks to all of you for deciding to hit that "follow" button, hopefully you'll enjoy the ride!

Now, moving on to the "meat" of the post, I have a picture to show.



I tried out a new way to paint yellow a couple of weeks back and I found that it was far easier to do than the previous yellow method I was using (you can see the results here). Instead, I did the following:
  1. Averland Sunset basecoat (multiple thin layers to build up a nice smooth layer);
  2. Seraphim Sepia wash in the recesses (clean up any overspill with Averland Sunset);
  3. Yriel Yellow glaze over the armour (I glazed the armour a couple of times to get an even result and to properly alter the colour of the basecoat);
  4. Seraphim Sepia wash in the recesses (to get a nice contrast);
  5. Yriel Yellow highlight (this makes for quite a subdued highlight on pictures, but actually stands out more when seen with human eyes);
  6. Lamenters Yellow glaze (to give the yellow a slightly warmer tone and really make it pop);
  7. Yriel Yellow highlight (the glaze may have subdued the highlights a bit too much, so I would go over the most prominent edges with another highlight).
And that's it! To me, it's a perfect yellow for the Lamenters Space Marine Chapter. Just need to figure out a way to paint a decent checkered shoulder pad and I can get on with painting the first squad!

6 comments:

  1. You're definitely a dab hand at the auld yellow, sir! Good show! I'll be using your methods for future indevours methinks. o7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you! There should be some more yellow soon-ish, so keep an eye out if you're interested.

      Delete
  2. Top notch! Really smooth transitions and much more natural looking than the previous yellows. I look forward to seeing this guy finished.

    "Just need to figure out a way to paint a decent checkered shoulder pad," said ever Lamenters painter out there :D I've started to draw on my models with a mechanical pencil to plan out my lines: highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JCA, it means a lot coming from a painter of your caliber :)

      The model shown above probably won't be finished (like his many brothers-in-arms which lie in boxes, doomed to forever be "test models") but hopefully I'll have a fully-painted model to show soon enough.
      And thanks for the tip! I should have a mechanical pencil lying around, so I'll try it out. Just need to decide if I really am going to start a Lamenters army or if I'll jump onto another project idea next week! *sigh*

      Delete
    2. I think I know the feeling! The grey helmet makes more sense now.

      Delete
    3. Aye, the grey helmet was a test for a Carcharodon (Space Shark) scheme that didn't work out due to me rubbing off the grey paint with my fingers by accident...

      But I feel somewhat reassured by knowing that I'm not alone! \o/

      Delete

Feel free to leave feedback and/or any questions that you may have in the comments section below, even if you're not signed up to Google!